Use of bio-methane produces
92% less greenhouse gas
compared to natural gas.
Without feed-in management, you could be losing
as much as 40% of that potential.
Utonomy’s feed-in management
lets you dynamically control and optimise the gas pressure in medium-pressure networks so you can inject the full output potential of bio-methane plants.
Traditional bio-methane feed in
In traditional systems, governor setpoints are adjusted manually, typically twice a year. The bio-methane plant injects gas into the medium pressure network at a fixed rate that can’t be changed at short notice.
Standard feed in
with fixed pressure
Peak morning demand can easily be 5 times higher than the overnight demand in residential areas. During the night, when demand is low, the biogas plant will be trying to inject twice as much gas as is being consumed which would cause the pipeline pressure to be exceeded.
OVERCOMING THE PROBLEM
One way of overcoming this problem would be to feed the bio-methane back into the high-pressure system at times of overcapacity but this requires costly additional infrastructure. A more cost effective solution is to use the network as a short-term storage or reservoir for additional gas but this can only be achieved by adapting the pressure setpoint dynamically to provide sufficient headroom in the pipeline.
RETHINKING BIO-METHANE INJECTION
Utonomy’s intelligent feed-in management solution adds an intelligent CONTROLLER that communicates with a cloud-based data platform via the mobile phone network. Setpoints are calculated intelligently based on seasonal demand, historical data and forecast demand using factors such as forecast weather and temperature. The governor setpoints are then adjusted via the ACTUATOR to provide optimum network pressure for the situational needs throughout the day.
- ATEX Zone 0 approved
- Precise, continuous set point adjustment
- Retrofitted in less than 1 hour
- Suitable for all pilot-operated governors
- Multiple mechanical fail-safes
- Fail to safe high in the event of power or control signal loss
- Communicates with the data platform via cellular network
- Monitors health and operation of governor station
- Maintains safe operation even after a loss of cellular signal
- Powered by rechargeable batteries and solar panels
LOW POINT LOGGERS
- Continuously monitor pressure at low points
- Intelligent alarms alert operators
- Communicate with data platform via cellular network
DATA AND APPLICATION PLATFORM
- Manages network devices and stores data
- Self-learning algorithms use data to optimise network performance
- Intuitive user interface for network management
- Displays governor and network performance
- Manages network alarms
- Demand in the network varies with temperature and other weather data
- Historic and forecast weather data is automatically uploaded every four hours
- Self learning algorithms use the data to help make accurate predictions of optimum governor settings
FEED-IN MANAGEMENT WITH UTONOMY
Continuous control means that gas pressure can be continually optimised, ensuring sufficient headroom to accommodate maximum bio-methane feed in, thus allowing the maximum potential of the bio-methane plant to be realised.
Utonomy’s feed in management
can be quickly and simply retrofitted to existing equipment without costly upgrades or downtime. The actuator is compatible with most pilot-operated regulators, regardless of the manufacturer while the controller is simply connected via a standard mobile phone network. The entire installation is battery powered and can be topped up with a compact solar panel which gives you the flexibility to expand as required. Start with feed in management and quickly and simply add functionality, such as grid monitoring, as and when you need it.